It’s that time of year again! Kale and spinach are flying off the shelves and you have to wait in line to use every single machine at the gym.
I, of course, have jumped on the bandwagon – no drinking 3 days a week, no beer for the month of January, minimal dairy and wheat, and return to cooking almost all meals at home. 2 days in and so far so good. Come back to me at the end of the week.
Tacos are one of my favourite things to make year round because they are so versatile and therefore never boring. Until you take away the sour cream, cheese and tortillas. Then they get pretty damn boring. But in the name of January, it must be done.
All you need to whip up this resolution-friendly weeknight dinner is a crockpot, chicken breasts, your favorite salsa and a quick post-work trip to the local produce store. Fingers crossed the vegetables you desire are still on the shelves!
Pulled Chicken Lettuce Tacos
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of salsa of your choice
- Butter / Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- half an avocado, diced
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- chili powder
- Italian seasoning
- Before leaving the house in the morning pop your chicken breasts and salsa into a crockpot and place on low heat. Turn off when you get home or after 8 hours. Once it has cooled slightly, take two forks and pull the chicken apart in the salsa. Set aside.
- Season your diced sweet potatoes with chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in a 350 degree F oven for 45 mins, shuffling occasionally to help them cook evenly. Once slightly crisp round the edges remove and set aside.
- Take your lettuce leaves and place a spoonful of chicken in the middle. Then top with the sweet potatoes, pepper, avocado and cilantro.
- Devour while trying not to dwell on the lack of sour cream and cheese!