Pun Police! Your clue is in the title… Chili of course! I adore a standard chili con carne with good old beef and kidney beans, but sometimes it’s nice to mix it up a little.
In keeping with my healthy January diet, I opted to use turkey, as it’s a super lean meat. I figured a good pairing for this would be cannellini beans, so did a bit of Googling to see what other people had concocted and came up with the following.
Unfortunately (well, unfortunately for my diet) I decided that this chili would be even better with a spoonful of sour cream, a sprinkling of cheese and dusting of cilantro.
It’s the perfect combination of hearty and healthy, and will keep you warm on these cold winter nights.
Turkey & Cannellini Bean Chili
Serves: 4 people
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsps oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated cheese, sour cream and cilantro for garnish if desired
- Gently fry onions and garlic over a medium heat in a large saucepan for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in turkey, mix until browned then sprinkle in herbs and spices.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and chicken stock, put a lid on the pan and cook until reduced – about 20 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, or whatever takes your fancy.
This gets better after a day or two in the fridge, and if you feel like being really naughty, piled on top of chips before devouring.