Asparagus is one of the greatest vegetables around. Fact. You can use it in so many dishes, from breakfast to dinner, so I am always coming up with new ways to incorporate it in my cooking. A few weeks ago, I decided dinner should come in the form of pasta (which is quite unusual for me, I must have been craving carbs and had no potatoes lying around!). I already had leftover asparagus in the fridge, as well as some cream, tallegio and parmesan cheese. Throw some frozen chicken breasts on the grill, and et voila! dinner is served.
Creamy Asparagus Pasta
- 2 chicken breasts
- a handful of fettucine
- a bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 cup tallegio, in chunks
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated plus extra for shaving
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- sprinkle of italian seasoning
- squeeze of lemon
- salt & pepper
- Put a pan of water onto boil, one bubbling, add salt a splash of oil and your pasta.
- While its cooking, grill, poach, or fry your chicken breasts until cooked.
- Prepare asparagus however you choose – boil, grill etc – until cooked but still firm.
- In a small pan over medium heat combine all the other ingredients, apart from the lemon juice. Mix until melted and gooey.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Put the pasta back in the pan and add cheesy sauce, asparagus and chicken and combine. Pour in a little pasta water if you want to make it more saucy.
- Serve in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon and parmesan shavings over the top. Have some garlic bread on the side if you are feeling particularly naughty!