As part of my Jubilee dinner party a few weeks ago, I decided to showcase asparagus, because it is something the Brits eat in copious amounts during the early summer months, especially where my Mum lives.
A starter (read appetizer) that my Mum came up with years ago, as a quick, but delicious first course for a dinner party is the following….
Be warned, it’s quite addictive. Luckily it’s also extremely easy to put together, whether catering for 8 people, or just 1!
Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto
- 16 slices of prosciutto
- 40 thin asparagus spears
- a large bag of arugula
- a large bag of spinach
- a block of parmesan, shaved
- balsamic vinegar, good quality
- extra virgin olive oil, good quality
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Cook the asparagus for 3 – 5 minutes until tender, but still firm.
- In a small dish, or jar, combine vinegar, oil, mustard and honey to create salad dressing
- Wrap 5 spears of asparagus in 2 slices of prosciutto.
- Combine spinach and arugula and place a large handful on each plate.
- Drizzle over salad dressing.
- Place prosciutto wrapped asparagus on top on salad and top with shaved parmesan.