It’s been a rough few days, and tonight I felt like I needed some comfort food. My ultimate “make me feel better” dish for when I am exhausted and emotionally drained is a baked potato. There is something about the fluffy, warm inside and the crisp outer shell that takes me to my happy place. One of my favourite appetizers to order at a restaurant is potato skins, so tonight I decided to merge the two together. The end result is a perfect marriage of cheesy, unctuous potato and salty bacon and it hit the nail on the head. Now I am off to bed with a belly full of carbs. Goodnight!
Serves: 1 tired girl
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 2 hours
- 1 large baking potato (I used russet)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- a splash of cream / milk
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked to a crisp
- 1 cup of cheese of your choice, grated (I used cheddar)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and pop potato on the middle shelf.
- Place bacon on a baking tray and put on top shelf of the oven. Cook until crisp – about 10 minutes.
- Sautée spring onions in some olive oil. Set aside the bacon and onions.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- The potato should be cooked after about an hour, but I left mine in for an hour and half to ensure a super crispy skin.
- Once the potato is ready, very carefully cut it in half, lengthways.
- Scoop out the potato and place in a bowl with sour cream, butter, cream and salt & pepper. Mash together.
- Break the bacon up into small bits and sprinkle into potato mix and add the onions. Mix together. Sprinkle in half the cheese.
- Take your potato skin and spoon the mixture into each one and top with remaining cheese. Place back on the baking tray and cook for a further 15 – 20 minutes until the top starts to bubble and turn golden brown. Eat straight away, but don’t burn your mouth!
This is something I would usually make as a side dish, but tonight it was all I needed. You could serve alongside a steak, or even just with a green salad if you want it to be the star of the show.